Mathematics | CEL • Active forum • Flexible •HD video lecturesnewdownloadable and playable on smart phones and ipads Transfer academic credit to your university 4 semester units,fall 2016,
14 weeks, August 29- Dec 20, fully online, flexible Calculus I - MATH 226 13 years of verifiable track record serving hundreds of students annually Calculus class online with
video lectures, active forum & personal help
Preregister now ↪
As of December 9 you can still enroll by calling us 415 405 7700, select option 5.
Students from other universities and international students are most welcome.
Please note: the class is fully online, you can be anywhere with an interent access. However,
the comprehensive final examination will be proctored at your location via a video link or at SFSU.
What are the students who succeeded in this online calculus class say and what advice they offer?
A student from summer 2016.
Dear Professor Goetz,
I would like to thank you and your team for all your help with this class. Your students have been really efficient with the feedback on the homework and I really appreciate that. Also, your lectures/videos were very clear and easy to understand, the summer class was definitely tough but I had fun.
Continuing student in 2016.
I am writing you to inquire about adding your Math 227 Calculus II. Over the summer I completed Calculus I with your online class and received a B. I found a new appreciation for online classes and your class by far made me love online studying. I enjoyed the self paced instruction and I felt as if I was able to understand the material a lot better. The way your class was structured was very organized and is set up for student success. Hopefully I can join your class again.
A student with different learning needs, summer 2015 Thank you again for welcoming me into calculus I, and thank your staff for always being there for me. Having learning differences isn't easy, as this class required full commitment and persistency. I was immediately accommodated by you, and your staff never let me down. Although this course seemed almost impossible torward the beginning, your staff always guided me in the right direction and gave me the confidence I needed.
I was shy in the beginning to even comment on Piazza, but took it upon myself to open up to everyone and start interacting about questions and concerns with the homework.
Overall, I remember the day when I was on the edge about joining this class considering, like you said, it is very hard to just jump in! For someone like me who started at lesson 7 and succeeded since due to my dedication, I am proud to say I ended with an A.
I learned that although this course was one of the most intense courses I've ever involved myself in, anything is possible with a little bit of faith.
I couldn't ask for a better calculus course to be apart of!
A UCSD studentI just wanted to say thank you. I went on to complete second semester calc,multivariate,linear algebra and differential equations at UCSD. Received A's in all my courses because this course really gave me a solid foundation.
Jonathan in the process of applying to Boston University, College of Engineering, fall 2010
I want to thank you for the obvious amount of effort, enthusiasm, and organization that you put into making this class possible. Without your devotion to the subject and desire to teach the material, I feel I would not have been able to do this subject online. Many people commented,"Wow, really, calculus online? Isn't that going to be difficult?" Admittedly, I gave some wieght to thier comments, but enrolled anyway.
I worked hard, but all of the details were laid out, and it was clear what needed to be done in order to succeed. This was by no means an easy class for me to complete, as I am also working full time and enrolled in a graduate degree program, but it was very much worth it.
Because of this class experience, I feel that I have a solid understanding of the foundations of calculus, am able to see thier applications in the real world, and will be able to move forward in understanding of mathematics in my future academic and professional career.
It was a bit unnerving to start an online class in calculus, but you made it challenging, interesting, and rewarding without making it intimidating. And for that, I thank you. Good luck in the coming semester!
Dustin, spring 2010
Thanks for a great semester. The structure of the class is fantastic. I've never seen an online class have as many notes, opportunities for collaboration, and assistance as yours. It's definitely one of a kind (in a fantastic way). It required hours of time for homework, but that's expected. I was just happy to be able to understand the homework in a beneficial way. Were it not for the fantastic structure of the class (say, one that relies strictly on a textbook without relevant notes), I would have struggled to understand anything.
Migdalia, (post-bac for pre-med, Fall 07 )
1. What was the main reason you why you took the online Calculus course rather than a regular class? I am took online calculus because of the flexible schedule which allows me to work full time.
2. What was the key to your success in this course? In order to do well in the class I consistently set aside 2 evenings a week to listen to lectures and an additional 2 days a week to do the homework problems and participate on the discussion board. [this comment is about the setup for the Fall, in the summer there are three lesson per week] I listened to lectures on the same days and times every week, which I feels helps. I worked on homeworks ANY time, which is great. You could post your questions on the discussion board any time and come back to it later for some answers. The key was to stay on top of the lectures and homeworks.
3. Who in your opinion would be a good student likely to succeed in this class format? Who, in your opinion, would not be a good candidate? In order for a student to succeed in the course he/she must be comfortable with setting up a schedule for classes and sticking to the schedule. You must be comfortable with asking questions and answering questions on-line the majority of the time. You must be comfortable with searching through google or through the sfsu website for examples that will further enhance your knowledge of calculus concepts you do not understand. Do not take this course if you like doing everything last minute, cannot stick to a schedule, and are weak in algebra and trigonometry.
4. What advice would you offer to a potential student? I would advice to make sure to have all the systems in place before class starts, for example: download skype, have a scanner or camera available for submitting homeworks, etc. before the first assignment is due. I would advice having some time available to meet with the TA in person.
5. Please add anything about the class and your experience: The class is set up to allow commited students to succeed. There are many resources and opportunities to learn. If you have the time (or are willing to give up personal time) you can succeed in the course. I committed about 10 hours a week to the course (that included listening to lectures). I learned the most from my online class mates. If they could not answer my questions, I would ask the TA (...). And if that did not help, I would always ask Prof. Goetz, who is very helpful.
6. What is your major and where do you go to college? I am a post-bac for pre-med at SFState. I originally did a B.S. in Kinseiology at SF STATE First of all, thanks to you for everything. This class is wonderful and I learnt alot, espeically the group homework work. The best thing, i like about the class is its "organization." You organzied the class in way that everybody can understand every concept easily. You always be there to help us any time (even 2 am). I definitely recommond this online class to every one because it helped me alot. Again thanks alot for all your help and hard work.